Monday, May 15, 2006

Broken Glass

"The great thing is, if one can, to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions in one's "own" or "real" life. The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life."- C.S. Lewis


I try to see the best in all situations. I attempt to piece together broken glass, torn paper and shredded cloth. But what if, it's simply suppose to stay worn? Or that is isn't my job to repair it?

I used to think that if I repaired parts of me that I thought had a loose string, a sharp edge or worn look everything else would work itself out. It doesn't. I've learned to embrace that I have a tongue that doesn't always say what it should, I have an eating habit of someone that is destined to be single forever and my OCD about specific cleaning rituals could drive someone normal crazy.

Not only embracing those things you think the rest of the world deems you an outcast for but taking them and using them for the beauty God made them for is a task that can seemingly knock the wind out of you. I pray daily I get the wind knocked out of me. I thank daily that He brushes me off.

I realize strength in your 'shortcomings' can carry you far further and longer then one ever thinks. To be prideful can help withstand, but to be humble strengthens you to withstand longer. I find humility is the hardest attribute to achieve with grace.

I have to wonder if what stares back at me in the mirror is what reflects off to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment